Wednesday, January 13, 2010

All for Neo-Paganism, say aye

I just recently saw the film Avatar; on first impression, the visual graphics are spectacular, and the film is worth seeing for that reason alone. The 3D aspect certainly enhanced the overall sensory experience, and getting to don those goofy 3D glasses added an otherwise missing element of hilarity to our viewing pleasure. Apparently my head is too small, as my glasses kept slipping throughout the film. I believe everyone is familiar with the premise of this film, and so I will not bore you with a detailed summary. What I will comment on, is the fact that this film carries a very strong environmental message; a plea rather, to anyone who is willing to listen. The film stresses that nature is not to be toyed with, and that every living thing on the planet is connected to one another; intrinsically bound to one another by our communal dependency on nature. That nature, is something to be revered. The vatican is publicly showing their disdain for the overall sentiment of the film, as they refer to this reverence for the environment as an advocacy for Neo-Paganism/Animism. Being a devout atheist; perhaps I find this latest vatican outcry to be more absurd than most people? And perhaps it is because I believe that a reciprocal relationship between nature and animals must be forged for life to continue harmoniously(or at all), that I found the overall sentiment/message of the film to hold many applicable truths. Obviously, I am not ignorant of the constant stream of Americana bullshit/patriotism that was spewed across the entire length of the film...really, of all the possible species/race to be 'chosen' to fly that flaming orange bird, you believe that an American would be the most likely candidate? But I digress. I clearly am not advocating Neo-Paganism, or any of its affiliated religions; but if I were to appreciate a religion, I could most certainly respect certain aspects of Paganism, specifically of the Wiccan variety. The fervent devotion to nature, and respect for animals is a feature I can certainly relate to. The celebration of femininity, and acceptance of lesbian and homosexual relations is also something I can respect and admire. Whereas, there is nothing I find remotely admirable/respectable about the Catholic religion, and its misguided preachings(which have done more harm than good). But I could devote an entire blog(or two) on this subject matter alone, and it is 9:26pm, and I want to go make a cup of tea. To wrap things up: If the only way to get people to respect nature and animals is via taking up a religion, then let them all become Wiccans and that way they can still believe in a deity(deities), and can simultaneously devote themselves to treating their earth and fellow animals in a respectful and humane manner. It truly is a win win situation for everyone involved. Especially for the planet, which clearly is the most important of the two. If I had my say, we would get our priorities straight, and focus on rebuilding/renourishing our earth, so that our feet would tread daily upon a healthy planet, not a dying one. Then let the worshiping recommence if need be.

No comments:

Post a Comment